11/10/10

listen to starfish

The name of this blog is a line I came across the other day while searching for a name . . I found a poem in a Richard Brautigan book that belongs to my husband. It reminded me of a line of my own in a collection of poetry I published years ago. Something about.. listening to a starfish with your hand,  letting your senses move towards a brand new way of listening.. an exquisite listening.
That's what I'm after. That new way of listening. Call it intuition? My inner voice? Something outside of me?

Richard Brautigan was a writer published in the 70's, it's not my favourite writer of all times, still, I do like his sense of humour and I enjoy reading his work. His poetry is somewhat sad but funny too.
I would say that in his writing he is an "affectionate pessimist".
His great sense of humour contradicts the fact that he shot himself in his cabin in the late seventies.
Or maybe not. A good sense of humour can't save you from everything, can it. 

Here is the poem that Richard Brautigan wrote who inspired me for the title of this blog.
For some obscure reason I find it hillarious.
*

CALVIN LISTENS TO STARFISH

Calvin listens to starfish.
He listens to them very carefully,
lying in the tide pools,
soaking wet
with his clothes on,
but is he really listening to them?

*

(Oh, and when I think of it, my own poem was about jellyfish.)

2 comments:

  1. Hej vännen!
    Vad roligt att läsa här hos dig!
    Jag har saknat dig och tänkt mycket på dig.
    Tänk att du två små nu. Fantastiskt ju! Så fina och söta de är...
    A har blivit så stor, blond och långhårig. Supersöt, vilken kille!
    Hur gammal har lillasyster blivit nu? Jag hänger inte med riktigt.
    Det vore mysigt om vi kunde ses någon dag.
    STOR KRAM!!! Från Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day at a time - this is enough!
    Do not look back and grieve over the past
    - for it is gone!
    And do not be troubled about the future
    - for it has not yet come.
    Live at the present and make it so beautiful
    that it will be worth remembering!
    Love from Annika

    ReplyDelete